That was “interesting” … and uncomfortable!

Remember a while ago when I blogged about working midnights? Yesterday was an example of just what kind of toll it can take on a person when you don’t get a lot of sleep. Let me tell you about it.

Because I wanted to make sure I spent some time with Ella for her birthday, my sleep consisted of naps Thursday. On a typical day, the amount of sleep I got would get me through the night at work and through the drive home. Once home, I could just go right to bed.

Last night, my patient was a difficult one. Not difficult as far as personality or anything like that, but difficult in the sense of “challenging.” The study was one that kept me on my toes and busy all night. By the time I was ready to clock out, I was exhausted and ready to go home.

Sam knew that I had limited sleep and she called me to make sure I was ok to drive home. Around 7:50am, another call beeped in. I saw on the Caller ID that the Hospital was calling me. In a fog, I put Sam on hold and answered it. “Is this Mr. Keith?” the voice asked me. I told her it was me and she told me that I had missed my appointment.

At that moment, the midnight guy in me came out as I realized it was not Thursday anymore (despite the fact that in my mind it was), but Friday. I had scheduled a Covid Test for Friday morning, because I have a minor surgery coming up on Tuesday. “Oh my gosh, it is Friday! I am so sorry!” I told the woman on the line. She asked if I could still make it, because they could find a way to squeeze me in.

The problem was that I was almost home and a good hour away from where I had scheduled the test! I asked if I could do it the Saturday morning, but that would be too late. It had to be done this morning. Now I begin to panic. I panic because I have already planned transportation, took time off work, and got everything in order so that I can get this surgery done. No Covid test – no surgery.

The gal explained that if I go to any urgent care and have it done, they will usually email results. The problem is, because I am not having symptoms, they may charge me. So that is out. I remembered that there was a Beaumont Urgent Care about 30-45 minutes away (which is a little closer) and that if they did it, the results would be readily available in my chart for the docs to see. I wouldn’t have to worry about printing off an email or getting a piece of paper with results to bring with me to the surgery. The gal said that it should be ok to go there. So I jump off Northbound I-75 and get back on Southbound I-75 and head to the urgent care.

While the roads weren’t terrible, it was a slow go because of the snow that came down this morning. By the time I turned around and headed south, the roads seemed to be more wet than slippery. Luckily, they were able to get me in as a “walk in” and there was no one waiting. I would say I was there about 20 minutes – tops.

I’m not sure if it was the panic I had experienced earlier or what, but despite being exhausted, I actually felt awake. The nurse took my blood pressure (which was spot on – 122/81) and then the PA came in. He looked in the nose and throat, listened to my lungs, and then said they’d be in to swab.

This was my first Covid swab and up until now I only know what I have read from people who had it done. I wasn’t sure what to expect. The gal came in and asked me to put my head back and she began to swab.

When she finished with the first nostril I thought, “That wasn’t so bad.” It wasn’t until she did the other nostril that I really felt anything weird. I’m not even sure “weird” describes it well. Was there any pain? No. It tickled like crazy and immediately brought tears to my eyes. I was stumped as to why I didn’t get that sensation after the first nostril was done. Once my eyes started watering and the swab was removed I started feeling something even stranger. I am not sure I can explain it.

Burning? No. Tickling? A bit. Itching? I wouldn’t call it that, although I had to pinch my nose and tweek it so the feeling would go away. It was almost like a sneeze without the sneeze. It was just bizarre! Maybe you can help me describe it better. If so, please chime in!

By the time I got home it was after 10am. I don’t have to tell you that once my head hit the pillow I was out cold. What a morning!

So now I wait. As of 5pm today, no results yet. I’m not worried, as I have no symptoms, but I’ll keep on checking …

5 thoughts on “That was “interesting” … and uncomfortable!

  1. I’ve never got checked…I’ve never had any symptoms before. I’m glad you didn’t have to travel an hour away! Yea man I remember working the late shift…

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s