In order for my Christmas season to be “official”, I have to hear Bobby Helms “Jingle Bell Rock” in its entirety on the radio. I’m not sure why, it just has always been the song that I have associated with the holiday. Perhaps it was one of those songs that I remember hearing on the radio as a kid, I really don’t know. I just know that it is the song that says “It’s Christmas time, Keith.”
Let me say this: I love Christmas music. As a DJ, I have played countless Christmas parties and have a huge tub of Christmas CD’s. I have a huge variety of various formats: Country Christmas songs, Pop Christmas songs, Novelty Christmas songs, and more. One of the radio stations I work for is actually playing all Christmas music right now and I enjoy doing an on air shift there. All that being said, there are certain Christmas songs that I can do without! Today’s short blog is a commentary about some of those songs.
Please Stop Playing These
- “I Want a Hippopotamus For Christmas” – I don’t care whether this is the original version or one of the countless remakes. This song is just plain annoying. This song makes me want to drive off the road when I hear it. I cannot change the station fast enough when it comes on. I have yet to understand what is so appealing about this song!
- ANYTHING by the Mannheim Steamroller. While I do appreciate improvisational music, there is nothing about their music that I find entertaining or worth listening to. Let’s face it, the synthesizer died in the 80’s …. let’s put these songs to bed, too.
- “Jingle Bells” by the Singing Dogs. While we are at it, let’s add any Christmas songs done by cats, rabbits, ducks, ferrets, owls, pigs, or any other “musical animal”! Stop it! These awful songs deserve no place on the radio.
- “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer” – It sucked when it first came out. I continues to suck. Why is ok to play this song, in which grandma is MURDERED by Santa’s sleigh, but people are offended by a song that was recorded YEARS before the phrase “date rape” was even uttered claiming that is what the song is about (“Baby, It’s Cold Outside” for those unaware of that controversy)?
- “Mistletoe” by Justin Beiber. – It’s friggin’ Justin Beiber. That is reason enough!
- Jingle Bell Rock by Hall and Oates. As I mentioned at the beginning of this blog, the original is a classic and a must hear for me. I am not sure what it is about this version that makes me want to throw the radio out the window. It is awful! Perhaps it is just my love for the original that makes me hate this one so much, but probably not, as there are other versions of it that I like. To me, it’s like listening to cats puking…..hell, I’d actually rather listen to that, than to listen to this.
- Christmas Wrapping – The Singing Waitresses. What the hell is this? I understand that the Spice Girls recorded this too and I can’t imagine their version being any better. This is probably the biggest waste of 3 minutes ever (with the exception of all Justin Beiber music). This song is in a “hot” rotation on Sirius XM’s Holly channel. This song needs to be go away forever! I want to wrap it up in toilet paper and flush it away!
- It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year – Andy Williams. It’s the most overplayed song of the season!! I don’t mind hearing it every so often, but every 20 minutes is a bit much.
- I am a HUGE Beatles fan – but I have to admit that “Happy Christmas” by John Lennon and “Wonderful Christmastime” are, outside of the previously mentioned Andy Williams song, played to death. Yoko Ono singing on “Happy Christmas” is like fingernails on the chalkboard! God! Who ever told her she could sing – John, must have. As for Sir Paul, he probably could never record again and live off the royalties from just that song they play it so much. It’s not a bad song – neither of them are – they are just so overplayed!!!
- ANYTHING by Pentatonix!!! I LOVE acapella music! I do. When voices blend in good harmony, it is something amazing. Check out Ricochet’s “Let It Snow” – it’s awesome! I am not sure if the Pentatonix stuff is just overproduced, but it just sounds wrong to me. Take the song Hallelujah…Rufus Wainwright’s version is perfect. This version doesn’t sound right from the first note. I guess this album is the “new” Bing Crosby album, as stores can’t seem to keep it in stock. Personally, I’ll pass.
- Dominick, the Donkey. As an Italian, I am embarrassed by this song. Lou Monte is one of the great Italian singers. His song Lazy Mary was a hit and I danced with my grandmother to it at my first wedding. Sadly, more people know Lou because of this piece of crap, than his hits! Jingity jing….URGH! Do the entire Italian community a favor and don’t ever play this again!!!
These are just a few of the songs that drive me insane. I am sure if I sat and thought about it more, or just turned on the radio, I could list countless others. For now, I will let you add to this list. What Christmas songs do YOU hate and why? I look forward to reading your responses.